Glen-Gery’s unassuming origins can be traced back to Reading, Pennsylvania, in 1890, during the height of the Industrial Revolution when new construction was abound. A local businessman, Albert A. Gery, nicknamed AA, decided to try his hand at making fire brick. With financing from his father-in-law, Mathan Harbster, a prominent hardware merchant, Gery purchased 32 acres of land rich in fire clay near the Montello Station of the legendary Reading Railroad. Gery built two rectangular kilns and formed the Montello Clay and Brick Company.
Today, Glen-Gery operates 10 manufacturing plants and 9 retail centers. Glen-Gery is one of the largest brick manufacturers in the U.S.
In 1999, Glen-Gery Corporation was acquired by CRH plc of Ireland and became parts of its Architectural Products Group, where the principle trading name is Oldcastle. APG is the leading North American producer of concrete masonry, lawn and garden, and masonry products. CRH is the fifth largest building materials company in the world, with activities in more than 35 countries. Its businesses include basic building materials, building products and building product distribution.
As a result of its affiliation with CRH plc, Glen-Gery is now part of an international organization that that ranks as a world leader in the building products industry.
Although a century beyond its modest origins, Glen-Gery still maintains the high standards established from its inception: quality, honesty, innovation and integrity.